Wednesday 23 February 2011

"Sho yur luv" for di Caribbean

Perhaps you are wondering why I have a Caribbean island pictured in my blog header.

During the third year of my degree course I was able to visit Belize, home to the world's second largest coral reef.  Aside from seeing some amazing sea creatures, what enchanted me most about the trip was experiencing Caribbean English.

I’ve always loved the film Cool Runnings - the Jamaican accents are amazing - and during my degree I loved studying the development of creoles around the world, especially when we touched upon the Jamaican dialect. Although it is our language, English in the Caribbean has evolved to take on a whole character of its own. A particular highlight of the trip was being asked at the restaurant in the morning if I would like "beer can" with my morning pancake. 

Besides which, the Belize have a brilliant sense of humour. Here are a few images which capture the atmosphere:





 




  


 

1 comment:

  1. Love this post Cat, share the Carribean loveeee mon.

    ReplyDelete